An Interview with Dr Mehrad Nazari, Founder of Enlightened Negotiation
Dr. Mehrad Nazari is a consultant, teacher, facilitator, and speaker. Through teaching, Nazari had an eye-opening experience that led to a strong interest in the concept of negotiation. His interest, partnered with his exposure to such a diverse student body, led him to write on the subject.
The lack of awareness of what negotiation is has influenced how he looks at the subject. Interestingly, through his own life experiences, Dr. Nazari has drawn parallels with simple concepts and yoga practices, and the art of negotiation. Dr. Nazari has helped thousands of people worldwide elevate their personal and professional interactions by enhancing their negotiation skills.
In This Episode:
- [00:00:46] Meet Dr Mehrad Nazari, born in Tiran, Iran, was enlisted in a compulsory military service for two years before going to London where he got his MBA. With the support of his family, he then went to the US to get a PhD.
- [00:05:39] Many languages do not have the word “negotiation”. What is often used is “haggling”. It is important to understand the difference between these two terms.
- [00:12:08] Dr Mehrad explains how every single type of communication has a different mindset and different skill set.
- [00:17:30] Research has shown that givers are more intelligent than takers.
- [00:20:20] People need to change their mindset from “haggling” to “negotiating.”
- Negotiation is whenever there is the expectation of exchange.
- Set your attention on your intention. Realize that there is always an opportunity for growth in every interaction.
- Excellent negotiators care about the success of the other party as much as they care about their own.
- A leader that is equal centric and aware that we are all connected, can energize and inspire people towards righteous action.
- We need to “AKT” – Awareness, Knowledge, Transformation.
Meet Meet Dr Mehrad Nazari
Rarely does one find such a unique background and expertise as Mehrad Nazari. His unprecedented body of work is the culmination of his quest over three decades. He stands with one foot in the world of business, one foot in the world of academia and research, with his sight on human potential. Using 5000 years of ancient wisdom and the latest scientific findings in social sciences and human behavior, Dr. Nazari’s methods interweave the best of all worlds, helping organizations of all sizes achieve extraordinary and permanent success. His captivating presentations disrupt the conventional linear style, resulting in unparalleled organizational performance.
Nazari’s heartfelt stories inspire audiences to discover their own journey toward a purposeful life. Along with theoretical approaches, he focuses on practical tools that conscious leaders and entrepreneurs can apply immediately to their daily lives. His diverse and unique background — three decades as an award-winning business leader, two decades as an acclaimed professor of business negotiation, and a recognized luminary in the field of human potential through mindfulness, yoga, and meditation — makes him most qualified to present an integrated approach to human interactions.
Mehrad has a PhD in Leadership and Human Behavior and an MBA. Although his academic achievements are many, Dr. Nazari’s years of studies with some of the greatest Indian and Japanese masters of Eastern philosophical principles of our time set him apart from traditional business speakers. His journey through his own personal experiences, wisdom traditions, and scientific studies led him to author the multiple award-winning book: Enlightened Negotiation: 8 Universal Laws to Connect, Create, and Prosper. He uses Enlightened Negotiation® as an approach to transcend conventional organizational interactions by honoring the universal laws governing our behaviors.
As an author and teacher on the topic of Enlightened Negotiation®, Dr. Nazari’s passion is to teach others to align real-world negotiations with their life-force driven needs and higher values. He has helped thousands of people around the world elevate their personal and professional interactions by enhancing their negotiation skills. As a consultant, teacher, facilitator, speaker, and author, he has worked with executives from Sony, Intel, eBay, Brookfield Asset Management, Wells Fargo, IDEA Fitness, Johnson & Johnson, Kashi, YPO Gold, FlorExpo, and Coldwell Banker. In addition, he has lectured at UC Berkley, UC San Diego, United States International University, National Conflict Resolution Center, San Diego County Bar Association, Port of San Diego, and Esalen Institute.